It has taken me 3 months to begin to accept my new life without children. This is my analogy of transitioning from mother to empty nester.
- I spent the last 3 decades being the leading lady; now I have a character role. It hurts to be downsized.
- I know my daughters are now wives and mothers themselves, but they are still my daughters.
- Mothers say to their children "I want you to be happy". And I mean that. What I don't say is I want to be happy too.
- When I visit you I'm not coming to inspect your home, just to see you and your family.
- My dirty little secret: If I don't get this right, my children will downsize me.
- I cherish every moment with my children and grandchildren now, never taking time with you for granted.
- increase my testimony and relationship with the Savior by magnifying my church callings and intensify my study of the scriptures (and other good books),
- spend more time with my husband and developing our relationship and,
- increase my relationships with family members (children, in laws, grandchildren).
Hmmm, my goals are actually the same as they were before, just with a different slant.
I think I am beginning to develop passion in my life again.
3 comments:
I can certainly identify with what you have said. At times I have felt like a stranger around my grown children, especially when we are all together. I've missed your posts and hope this means you'll be posting often again. It is interesting how as parents of grown children we need to be more sensitive of their lives than we did when they were young children. Back then it seemed they loved us no matter what! Ah, empty nester, what is that now?
Miriam - what great insight and goals you have posted. Your words really hit home - it helps me prepare for the day when my own children grow up and leave home and how that transition is not always fun, but is a part of life. You are doing exactly what you are suppose to do.
I'm so glad to see you blogging again! I know you are full of PASSION!
Post a Comment