Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Frustration with the Healthcare System

Today I'm going to use my blog as a sounding board for the frustration I feel for our healthcare system. I work in healthcare and know how to navigate the system and frankly, don't understand how anyone with less than a PhD can figure it out!!

Being the good patient, I made an appointment a month ago to see my primary care provider for my annual checkup and refill on medications I am taking. I have been her patient for 8 years. They confirm that my address and health insurance have not changed since last year. Yesterday I get a phone call from the doctor's office confirming my appointment. "We have reserved this time especially for you......" How nice. I go to the doctors this morning, fasting I might add, so that labs can be drawn. I am told that the doctor will not see me because she does not take my insurance anymore! Did they not know that a month ago or even a day ago?? Does anyone care that I have been out of my medications for 3 months?? They have a sign posted that patients must cancel 24 hours in advance or incur charges. I guess this same courtesy does not apply to doctors.

I call my health insurance company and they verify my doctor is still on their provider list. Yes. I call the business manager who will not return my phone calls. I change my primary care provider to some name on a piece of paper. I mull around the idea of just not seeing doctors anymore and stopping all my medications.

I have been an ER and flight nurse, I'm responsible, a rule-follower and a pleaser. I guess none of that counts. Can you feel my frustration??? I am proud to be a nurse and ashamed of the system.

2 comments:

LucyH said...

I do feel your frustration and feel bad they are doing this to you. The health care system is for the most part a business, right? It's too bad that all the wonderful nurses like you have to suffer through these kinds of things!

Donelle said...

Oh, we could write a book about the healthcare system and its MANY flaws...hang in there. Sorry this happened to you:(